Fleas and ticks are the bane of many pet owner's existence, which is why treatment for these pests is vitally important. At Westside Veterinary Center on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, the veterinarians at our animal hospital can help you find the best treatment option for your dogs, cats, and other pets at risk.
The Health Issues Caused by Fleas and Ticks
Several medical concerns are caused by fleas or ticks infesting your pets.
- Allergies: When fleas bite your pet, they can trigger a reaction that results in a lot of discomfort. Your pet can end up scratching a lot, to the point where he is causing wounds in his skin. Infections could occur because of his itchiness, and he could also show other types of allergy symptoms.
- Overgrooming: Another way that pets try to deal with a flea or tick infestation is by overgrooming his body. This is especially common in cats, and they might end up pulling out their fur and licking their skin raw.
- Anemia: Since these pests feed on a pet's blood when an infestation is bad enough, it can result in anemia.
- Diarrhea: Flea and tick treatment handles other parasites as well. Tapeworms can cause problems in the digestive system, such as diarrhea and weight loss.
- Lyme disease: This is one of many diseases that ticks can transmit, and it causes serious issues.
On top of all of these health concerns, it's also extremely stressful to have a flea infestation in your house. These pests can spread rapidly between your pets and lay eggs throughout your home.
What is Flea and Tick Treatment?
Flea and tick treatment is either a topical medicine or pills that are given to your pets that are designed to kill these pests and parasites. The exact treatment provided to your furry companions depends on their species, age, and whether you're using it as a preventative or if they are suffering from an active infestation. One example of a common topical treatment goes into the fur at the nape of the neck, where pets are not able to lick it off. If your pet has a particularly severe infestation, then additional medical care may be required.
Come In for Your Pet’s Flea and Tick Treatment Today
Flea and tick treatments are typically given every month and can be easily purchased at our animal hospital. When you need flea and tick treatment for your pet, reach out to Westside Veterinary Center on the Upper West Side of Manhattan to stay on schedule. If you have any questions about flea and tick treatment or just veterinary care in general, call us today at (212) 580-1800.